Sunday, October 18, 2009

Venice Train Station

Mom and I got to the train station in Venice way too early. But that is okay because we didn’t have much more to see in the side of city we were in. I think we saw St. Mark’s Square about 50 times and the Rialto 49 times so I think we hit the main points. You know I enjoy being here a lot. But it isn’t because of all the museums and the sights. Granted Saint Mark’s Basilica is beautiful and the canals are awesome and the lack of cars is quite a feat. But I enjoy just sitting and listening to music and just reflecting on life in light of all the people I see.

I am sitting outside the train station right now at 523 pm local time on Sunday, while Mom goes and tries to find some kind of supermarket. Another very interesting thing about Venice is that along with never seeing cars, you will never see a laptop or a computer. I did pass by a Internet café last night and there were computers there, but you never see anyone else anywhere working on a computer. In fact, it is quite interesting that as we speak, I am on the outside steps of the train station and people that walk past me are slyly looking to the side at my laptop. I wonder if they even sell laptops in Venice. Mom said that earlier when I was typing there was a man that kept walking around me and thought that my laptop was the coolest thing he had ever seen.

It is definitely getting colder again. The sun has gone behind the buildings so the temperature has dropped a good 10-15 degrees. I really should have packed a warmer jacket. I did, however, pick up a Venice toboggan at a souvenir vendor this morning and it definitely made me a more enjoyable person. I think my ears affect my entire body temperature. When those things get cold, I’m done!

As we speak, there are some weird people starting to set up something with a drum and some flags. And there are 9 cops around. I am really kinda scared as to what is going on. The flag is yellow and red and so are the balloons that they are carrying. Maybe they are supporting something. Hope the cops know that the weird kid with the laptop is not with them. Even though they are less than 6 feet away. And they just popped a balloon…not cool. I jumped 10 feet off the ground. No one better start shooting here. Luckily I am thinking about packing up shop and heading to the platform to make sure that we can get in line to get a seat on the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment