Friday, October 9, 2009

DMV and More Studying

I was supposed to get up at 355 this morning so that I could go with Kristie to the courthouse downtown in order for her to get her tags. Well instead of 355, a silver Chevy Tahoe decided to make it 210 and a snooze effect every following 30 minutes of loud blaring alarm. Headed to the courthouse, and for those that do not know, we were there the week before at 445 am, but due to a problem with the Title we weren't able to get the tags. When we got there last week there were already 15 people in line and by the time the courthouse opened at 8 there were more 200 people in line. This morning, however, we were the first ones at 445 am and the next people didn't show up until 515 or so. Spent most of my time sitting in between two stone walls to keep myself braced up and was able to sleep for a good while. Oh, and by the way, I have a mind to think these long lines would not happen if it wasn't for Birmingham going bankrupt and deciding to close down all but 2 of their courthouses and satellite stations in the entire county.

Though I had no problem helping Kristie out, I was responsible for getting the funds together to help pay for her tags since she has to pull cash out through Bank of America, and for some reason they cease to exist in Alabama, and the DMV does not take out of state checks since her checks have her address in Florida. So in exchange for paying the tags she wrote me a check for the same amount. But back to the story.

So 530 rolls around and all of a sudden it dawns on me, the cash I had last week in my wallet to help pay for it is now in my apartment hidden. I failed also to remember to bring my checkbook. Not good. I immediately get on my phone and start looking up where the nearest Regions Bank is. Only about 2 blocks away. But let me tell you that it takes guts to walk the streets of downtown Birmingham in any kind of dark. And of course when I find the huge skyscraper that is the Regions building and proceed to walk around it, there is no ATM in sight on the outside of the building. As I am coming around the last side of the huge building though I spot a Wachovia ATM. I will take the $3 charge to avoid driving all the way back to my apartment. I get the cash and head back with my head on swivel.

I'm not sure if it is just me or it might be other people also, but when I am walking alone in a shady part of town, I always wonder if I was to get held up, whether I'd stand up to guy mugging me or just hand over the wallet. I also imagine myself doing some crazy Batman moves and totally reversing it on him and tying him up to a light pole. Probably would just hand over the money though, maybe I could keep the credit cards. If only I had a Batman utility belt.

But I made it back safe to the front of the line and let Kristie practice some PT moves on my wrist and elbow while I attempt to sleep simultaneously. We get in and start to go through the process of getting a tag and Kristie had a bible verse picked out for how she wanted her tag customized and turns out that the one she wanted is taken. So is the next one she picks out. And the next one....you see where this is going. As we frantically fly through her Bible searching for anything that we can abbreviate to 3 letters and 2 numbers, I can't help but look back and feel a little bad for the people that are waiting. What seems like 43 verses later, we find one that hasn't been taken. Who knew that so many people in Alabama would pick these same verses to stick on there license plate?

We got back to her apartment and decided it would be best to get a little shut eye before attempting to study for our tests on 3 hours of sleep. After waking up I was treated to pumpkin pancakes. Now I am here attempting to START the material from this week.

Plans for Today: Get through all the material once and read some in a Neuro book.
Tomorrow: Start going through everything again. Again, time flies. But unfortunately I'm not always having fun.
Maybe I will try and squeeze in some football this weekend with some Tiger Woods on Wii.

No comments:

Post a Comment